This post will be a case study of the moving 3 sites to new domains. All domains are between 1-2 years old and some rank for some very competitive keywords. This post will be updated as we go. I will not go into the reason for the domain change.For the sake of the test here is a little background for the domains:
- Site/Domain A: This domain is ranking 8-9th for a while for a keyword with 550K monthly searches. The international rank is 2nd in France for a 17K monthly volume and 4th in Germany for 70K monthly. It is also ranking 22nd for a 20M MS keyword. The site has over 7.000 daily unique visitors with over 300 indexed pages. Age 1 year, 7 months.
- Domain B: This domain is ranking 32-45 for the same keywords. Daily traffic is 300-400 unique visitors with around 20 indexed pages. Age: 1 year, 3 months.
- Domain C: Ranking very low with less than 100 daily visitors. Age: 1 year, 9 months.
All the domains are in similar niches and are moved to 3 newly registered domains. The procedure is the standard 301 redirect to the new site with a Google Search Console Change of Address request. The site move process is started on March 1st, 2017 for all domains.
- March 6th – The domain appears twice on the first page of Google.de with the old domain ranked 3rd and the new domain on the 7th position.
- March 7th – The next day just one week after the site move started, there is a sudden drop from the SERPs on all major keywords. The only position that is unchanged is the German rankings while all others have dropped from 8th to 89th (INT) and from 2nd to 20th (FR). The traffic dropped to ~1600 from 7142 unique visitors the day before. Most of the traffic is from the main German and some long tail keywords. The new domain dropped to 95th position from 7th in Germany. There are 48 pages indexed from the new domain.
- March 9th – In Google.de old site no longer ranks for the old domain and after the drop to the bottom from few days ago, the new site is on the 7th position, just 4 positions down from where it initially was. For the main KW, for FR and INTL, the old site is no longer in the top 100 results. Traffic has dropped to ~ 1100 unique visitors. The old site still ranks quite good for some LSI and long tail KWs.
- March 19th – Main KW ranks 4th in DE and 3rd in FR which is just 1 position down from the original ranking. Most long tail KWs are still ranking lower than before, but overall there is some improvement. For the main KW in INTL / US the site makes its first appearance on page 4. For the first time since the drop the traffic is little over 2.5K unique visitors per day.
- March 7th -Nothing changed, 4 pages indexed from the new domain. No ranking/traffic changes for the old domain.
- March 8th -The old site rankings just improved by 18 positions on the main 550K MS keyword, now ranking 27th.
- March 8th -Nothing changed, 2 pages indexed from the new domain. Rankings dropped by 50+ positions for the old domain, no traffic change yet.